Network Systems Engineer
James City County Information Resource Management Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work analyzing computer automation needs, designing appropriate network and computer solutions, implementing hardware and software solutions, maintaining new and existing networks and systems, and training and assisting users.
• Supports network operation for One Solution Public Safety Software systems; troubleshoots, maintains, and supports back up functions for Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) and Records Management Software (RMS) databases using Microsoft Structures Query Language (SQL) Server, and CheckPoint and Meraki firewalls.
• Conducts feasibility and cost analyses of network automation needs; evaluates needs to recommend and purchase proper equipment; works with vendors and Purchasing Division to purchase equipment and software; performs technical research using Internet or other subscription services.
• Designs programs to satisfy user requirements or solve identified problems; assists users in prototyping and applications.
• Assists with planning larger projects involving departmental networks, and upgrades, installs, administers, and monitors networks, operating systems, network cards, bridges/routers, and other network and telecommunication components including network wiring when required.
• Studies software packages to assist users in effective use and application of software; answers questions; reprograms software as needed; optimizes operating systems and applications; tunes networks for best performance; tests and evaluates new software and hardware.
• Provides initial training to users on computers and software.