Maintenance Worker III – Public Service
This Maintenance Worker III is part of a crew in the Charlottesville Public Service Division who performs flagging, digging, work marking, concrete/asphalt repair, and other street and sidewalk installation and maintenance assignments. Responsibilities also include manual labor and equipment operation related to seasonal programs such as leaf collection, trash pick-up/disposal, and emergency snow removal. Performs responsible semi-skilled work in a variety of construction, repair and maintenance assignments involving the use of specialized tools; occasionally operates specialized and other equipment in connection with the semi-skilled tasks to which assigned. Does related work as required.
$15.09 to $18.12 an hour. This is a full-time, non-exempt, position. Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. The position also provides excellent benefits including 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, City’s retirement options, and continuing education/training opportunities.
– Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or GED. (If no diploma or GED is obtained, must have a minimum of 2 years of direct work experience in the field.)
– Requires a minimum of 1 year experience in a similar position as a skilled worker in the maintenance, repair and or construction activity to which assigned, including but not limited to emergency response to weather related or other events, and transportation construction activities such as concrete, asphalt, forming, utilities, traffic control ,etc.;
– Some prior experience in the operation of the equipment to which assigned.
– Must have valid VA driver’s license by employment start date. (To view our driving eligibility requirements, visit www.charlottesville.gov/faq.aspx?qid=166)
– Must obtain a class A CDL within 12 months of hire.
– This position is subject to emergency and stand-by call. Must be able to be contacted by phone in case of emergency and reside within 45 minutes response time to the City Yard located at 305 4th St NW.
– May require the ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicator certification.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job posting and to apply, visit our employment website listed. Applications are only accepted online through our employment page.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.