Maintenance Worker I
The public works department provides its employees a clear path for growth by providing unique training opportunities in both the skilled trades and technical field positions. The department promotes a team building environment by dedicating resources for training opportunities both formal and on the job which increases the efficiency, effectiveness and overall strength of the department.
The purpose of this position is to perform semi-skilled essential functions associated with General Services, Streets and Utilities divisions in the public sector. Regarding equipment operation, the emphasis is on the operation of vehicles, trucks, and small construction equipment where driving and maneuvering the vehicle constitutes the majority of the work required to complete tasks. To attain Maintenance Worker I status, the employee must be proficient in work functions in at least one divisional crew and any vehicles and equipment assigned. The amount of time assigned to any division and duty fluctuates according to the season and needs of the department.
• High School diploma or GED; supplemented by two (2) years of experience
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
• Class B Virginia Commercial Driver’s License or an expired CDL with the ability to renew within six (6) months
• The ability to meet and maintain Town insurability requirements with a minimum of two (2) years driving experience
• Work Zone Safety, VA Flagging, Blood Borne Pathogens, and CPR & First Aid certification, Confined Space
• Knowledge of department and Town policies, and procedures
• May be required to obtain and maintain other certifications as deemed necessary