Maintenance Specialist I – Parks
Application Deadline: May 14, 2021 at 5pm EST.
The City of Charlottesville is seeking candidates to be considered for Maintenance Specialist I – Parks Division. This Maintenance Specialist I is responsible for functioning as a team member performing construction/repair projects, park/playground maintenance/renovations, tree planting/maintenance, and athletic field maintenance. The position is key to maintaining an extremely effective team that follows defined schedules requiring skilled labor with a high level of responsibility. Positions in this class are responsible for the maintenance, construction, or landscape/horticultural duties in city parks, downtown mall, schools, right-of-ways and public recreational facilities. Performs other duties as assigned. May have supervisory duties. Reports to the Unit Supervisor, Crew Leader, or other first line supervisor.
The hiring amount will be $16.02 an hour for this position. Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. This is a full-time, non-exempt, position. The position also provides excellent benefits including 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, City’s retirement options, and continuing education/training opportunities.
– Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school or vocational school diploma or GED. If no diploma or GED is obtained, must have a minimum of 2 years of direct work experience in the field.
– At least six months of experience in a related field.
– Possession of a valid, appropriate driver’s permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Must be eligible to operate a City vehicle. (To view our driving eligibility requirements, visit www.charlottesville.gov/faq.aspx?qid=166);
– VDOT Flagger certification within 6 months of hire;
– May require a Class B Commercial Driver’s License within six months of employment;
– May require the ability to obtain a Pesticide Applicator certification.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job information and to apply, visit our employment website listed. Applications are only accepted online through our employment page and must be submitted prior to the listed closing date and time.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.