This employee performs a variety of manual labor tasks in the areas of streets, parks and water infrastructure and is under immediate supervision of the Director of Public Works. Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• a variety of general labor duties such as painting, mowing, brush and weed trimming.
• routine maintenance on machinery and tools, and general street and parks maintenance.
• removal of debris from street right-of-ways, catch basins, drainage ways and other Town property.
• loading and unloading dirt, gravel, trash, refuse and other debris.
• operating mowing machines and other small machinery and tools.
• gardening duties such as mulching and seeding.
• replacing road signs and placing and removing Christmas decorations.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities include but are not limited to:
• Knowledge of the materials and equipment used in general maintenance and construction work.
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
• Ability to carry out instructions both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and members of the public.
• Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather or working conditions.
• Ability to use good judgement to work safely and use equipment properly.
• Ability to lift and carry up to 100 pounds, pulls and pushes or drags up to 150 pounds of equipment.
• Ability to stand, walk, twist and stop for extended periods of time while making repairs.
Education and experience including but not limited to:
• Successful completion of high school or GED equivalent.
• Experience in performing heavy manual labor.
• Ability to drive light to heavy trucks and to operate a variety of machinery.
• Some ability to maintain and repair motorized equipment and other power tools.
Virginia driver’s license required; CDL preferred.