The posting will remain open until filled. The first review of applications will be on June 14, 2021. The Internal Auditor is responsible for planning and conducting operational, financial, and compliance audits to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls. Additional duties include: Makes written recommendations to senior administration to increase the efficiency and/or effectiveness of the control systems of functions reviewed, performs special investigations as requested by County Administration, and performs other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Reviews and evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, compliance
with laws/policies/regulations/procedures, and the safeguarding of assets
• Develops an Internal Audit Plan annually and submits that plan to County Administration for
• Implements the Internal Audit Plan as approved, including any specials projects assigned by
• Performs financial, economy and efficiency and performance audits of County departments
in accordance with Generally Accepted Audit Standards (GAAS), Principles of Government
Accounting, and Government Audit Standards (The Yellow Book)
• Ensures follow-up on corrective action plans to address audit recommendations.
• Administers the fraud, waste and abuse hotline and coordinates investigations.
• Develops and formulates all audit policies, programs, guidelines and plans within the
framework of relevant County regulations, procedures, controls and professional standards
• Develops an assessment of risk
• Develops an integrated information technology audit approach, including use of audit
• Considers the scope of work of external auditors for the purpose of providing optimal audit
coverage to the County including the contracting with external auditors for annual and as
needed audit services
• Reports significant audit findings and recommendations to County Administration
A full description of the position can be found on the Job Opportunities page on the County of Roanoke’s website (www.roanokecountyva.gov).