• Inspects residential or commercial construction work for three system areas (building, plumbing/mechanical/gas, and electric) for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and County ordinances.
• Reviews assigned inspection tickets to verify proper sequence of inspections; plans and organizes daily inspection route.
• Maintains effective working relationships with the plans examiners, contractors, building owners, and the public.
• Provides customer service to the public and internal customers, in person, over the telephone, or online.
• Investigates and reports Damage Assessments as needed following major weather events.
• (Inspector II) Serves as a Combination Inspector performing combination inspections in various trades.
• (Inspector III) Performs a broad range of advanced inspections in residential and commercial construction work in one or more system areas (building, plumbing/mechanical/gas, electric) for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and County ordinances; assists with plan reviews.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma, preferably supplemented by courses in building construction technology.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within thirty (30) days of hire a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• (Electrical inspectors only) Master or Journeyman Electrical Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) certification preferred or equivalent certifications as determined by the department.
• Must complete 16 hours of approved continuing education every 2 years.
• Knowledge of the codes, principles, techniques, and equipment used in one or more of the system areas of building, plumbing/mechanical/gas, or electrical; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer service.
• Skill in the use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to perform a broad range of inspection and plan reviews for residential and commercial structures; recognize deficiencies in the work and effective corrective measures; maintain effective working relationships with contractors, building owners, and the public; enforce codes with firmness, tact, and impartiality.