James City County’s Community Development Department seeks an individual to perform responsible (Inspector I/II) or experienced (Inspector III) work inspecting new and remodeled residential and commercial buildings to ensure compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, Virginia Manufactured Home Safety Regulations, Virginia Industrialized Building Safety Regulations, Virginia Amusement Device Regulations, federal and state laws, and local ordinances; serves as a technical representative of the Building Official. There are three levels of Inspector distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Inspector I: $42,028 / year or higher DOQ
Inspector II: $45,074 / year or higher DOQ
Inspector III: $48,347 / year or higher DOQ
• Inspects residential or commercial construction work for three system areas (building, plumbing/mechanical/gas, and electric) for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and County ordinances.
• Reviews assigned inspection tickets to verify proper sequence of inspections; plans and organizes daily inspection route.
• Maintains effective working relationships with the plans examiners, contractors, building owners, and the public.
• Provides customer service to the public and internal customers, in person, over the telephone, or online.
• Investigates and reports Damage Assessments as needed following major weather events.
• (Inspector II) Serves as a Combination Inspector performing combination inspections in various trades.
• (Inspector III) Performs a broad range of advanced inspections in residential and commercial construction work in one or more system areas (building, plumbing/mechanical/gas, electric) for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and County ordinances; assists with plan reviews.