Housing Specialist I/II/III (Family Self Sufficiency Coordinator)
• Coordinate and conduct residential Housing Quality Standards and Habitability Inspections for State and Federal program assisted units in conformance with local Administration Plan and State and Federal regulations.
• Act as a liaison between landlords, Program Coordinators and program participants to assure timely access to housing units and conformance with Housing Quality Standards requirements.
• Assist families and participants of assisted housing programs with achieving self-sufficiency by following local Program Action Plan, HUD guidelines and program policy; grow and maintain Program Coordinating Committee and participant growth and funding; provide case management and calculate and monitor escrow accounts.
• Interview applicants and review detailed paperwork used to determine housing needs and eligibility for programs.
• Provide case management services to participants of assisted housing programs; maintain participant files and update entries; prepare reports on availability and use of housing resources.
• Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Must have or complete HUD approved Housing Quality Standards Inspection training/certification within 6 months of hire.
• Must have or obtain HUD Housing Counseling Certification within 1 year of hire.
• Skill in making mathematical computations and effectively utilize a variety of automated data management, reporting, and analysis programs.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landlords, tenants, homeowners, contractors, government and agency personnel and the public including other jurisdictions and state and federal officials; efficiently assist customers with direct intervention including rendering specialized and difficult casework services; work independently; establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, clients, officials and the public; interview people effectively; handle confidential information with sensitivity; gather facts and report them accurately; express ideas clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.