Housing Resource Navigator
• Provide housing information and technical assistance on available purchase and rental housing units; review contracts and leases and identify homebuyer and rental resources including home purchase and down payment assistance and assistance with locating deposit, rent and utility assistance.
• Interview applicants and review detailed paperwork used to determine housing needs and eligibility for programs.
• Act as a liaison between homebuyers, realtors, lenders, funding providers and housing counselors to assure timely location of suitable home purchase opportunities; act as a liaison between renters, landlords, property managers, and housing counselors to assure timely location of suitable rental opportunities.
• Advocate strongly in the interest of buyers and renters including interacting with real estate professionals, landlords and property managers to identify affordable home purchase and rental housing opportunities, resources and options.
• Coordinate homebuyer education classes for homeownership applicants, VHDA homebuyers and other interested persons.
• Provide home purchase counseling including credit, budgeting and financial case management services to participants of assisted housing programs; maintain participant files and update entries; prepare reports on availability and use of housing resources.
• Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Must have or obtain HUD Housing Counseling Certification within 1 year of hire.
• Skill in making mathematical computations and effectively utilize a variety of automated data management, reporting, and analysis programs.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landlords, tenants, homeowners, contractors, government and agency personnel and the public including other jurisdictions and state and federal officials; efficiently assist customers with direct intervention including rendering specialized and difficult casework services; work independently; establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, clients, officials and the public; interview people effectively; handle confidential information with sensitivity; gather facts and report them accurately; express ideas clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.