• Maintain appearance of grounds including mowing, edging, weeding, watering, trimming, raking and planting; maintain sidewalks and other paved areas by clearing debris; clear snow from sidewalks and makes passageways around the County buildings as needed.
• Maintain groundskeeping equipment by performing preventive maintenance and minor corrective maintenance.
• Move office furniture, boxes, etc., as requested, including voting machines.
• Assist in building maintenance, repair, renovations and special construction projects as required.
• (Groundskeeper II) Operate heavy equipment requiring a Commercial Driver’s License.
• This job is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during and following natural disasters and emergency situations.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school diploma; some experience in the methods, equipment, materials and tools used in grounds maintenance work as needed to maintain gardens, building grounds and paved areas.
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Ability to perform strenuous physical labor; operate powered grounds-keeping equipment and electric hand tools; deal courteously with the public; follow oral and written instructions; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees and the public.
• (Groundskeeper II Only): Requires certification as a Pesticide Registered Technician from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and consumer Services, Office of Pesticide Services; must possess a valid Class A or B Virginia Commercial driver’s license.