Greater Williamsburg Kinship Navigator
James City County Social Services Department is seeking individual to perform responsible work providing support and assistance to the relatives of children who are not involved in foster care or adoptive placement. The goal is to assist kinship caregivers in utilizing services to meet the needs of the children they are raising and to promote effective partnerships among public and private agencies resources and support to families before they enter the child welfare system.
• Counsels and provides services to kinship caregivers by assessing needs and arranging necessary services to provide support, education and information to identified relative caregivers.
• Provides in-depth information and education regarding resources available to meet the basic needs of the children for whom the relatives are caring for.
• Assists in the development of an information and referral system to assist kinship caregivers and youth, such as information packets, a referral database and other tools to support kinship providers and convey information on available resources.
• Participates in both outreach and education activities to establish a more formalized network of support for local kinship caregivers, such as the recruitment and facilitation of a the regional Kinship Resource Council.
• Develops partnerships with and provides in-service trainings to community agencies who may interact with relative caregivers, such as the schools, Community Action Agency, Child Development Resources, Colonial Behavioral Health, Peninsula Agency on Aging, United Way, 9th District Court Services Unit and other private and public agencies in order to provide a holistic approach to serving relative caregivers and families.
• Works closely with any assigned Family Services Specialist to ensure appropriate referrals are made for services by being knowledgeable of local services and resources.
• Coordinates supportive activities to the caregivers and the children, such as a relative support group and a volunteer mentor program.