General Office Clerk
James City County’s Clerk of Circuit Court seeks an individual to perform responsible work in the Clerk of the Circuit Court Office to maintain and update records and materials pertaining to the public and local organizations.
• Prepares and maintains records and materials for archival purposes; ensures integrity of fragile, rare and sensitive materials.
• Assists with processing and preserving a variety of documents to include, but not limited to, permits, licenses, certifications, deeds, assignments, and other official documents; assists in locating and photocopying various information as requested.
• Maintains positive and courteous interactions with the public and staff; makes referrals to other County departments based on customer requests; answers questions within context of policies and procedures.
• Answers and routes telephone calls to appropriate parties; responds to inquires as appropriate, directs inquiries to the proper source, and takes messages as necessary
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some experience in administrative work in the public sector preferred.
• Must possess reliable transportation to work site(s).
• Knowledge of the Circuit Court system and its operations; standard office terminology, procedures and techniques.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to type accurately; operate and instruct others on the operation of a variety of office equipment; communicate effectively and tactfully with public, members of the legal profession, law enforcement agencies, and fellow workers, keep accurate records; plan and organize; read and understand legal documents; follow verbal and written instructions; appropriately handle and maintain confidentiality.