Gas Maintenance Worker
Support the Charlottesville Department of Utilities in fulfilling its service to provide efficient and safe utilities to all in our community. The Charlottesville Department of Utilities – Gas Division is seeking a qualified candidate to join our team as a Gas Maintenance Worker. Performs responsible semi-skilled work assisting in the construction, repair and maintenance of gas utility lines and related fixtures involving the use of specialized tools; frequently operates specialized and other equipment in connection with the work; does related work as required. Primarily and most frequently the work done here is under general supervision, with related functional areas and more advanced applications.
The starting hiring amount will be $15.09 to $21.14 an hour. Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. This is a full-time, non-exempt, position. The position also provides excellent benefits including 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, and City’s retirement options.
– Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or GED. (If no diploma or GED is obtained, must have a minimum of 2 years of direct work experience in the field.);
– Requires a minimum of 1 year experience in a position such as a skilled worker in maintenance, repair and/or construction activity and some prior experience in the operation of related equipment;
– Position is subject to standby and emergency call; Must be able to be contacted by phone in case of emergency and reside within 40 minutes response time to the City Yard;
– Possession of a valid driver’s permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia is required by date of hire. (To view our driving eligibility requirements, visit www.charlottesville.gov/faq.aspx?qid=166)
– Must be able to obtain appropriate Commercial Driver’s License within 6 months of employment. Position is subject to DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations.
– Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job information and to apply, visit our employment website listed.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.