Gardener (Maintenance Specialist II)
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.
This position functions as part of a team performing skilled and responsible horticultural duties related to grounds and landscape maintenance, installation of landscaped and floral bed areas in city parks, downtown mall, schools, right-of-ways and public facilities. This position is essential to maintaining an extremely effective team that follows defined schedules. Performs other duties as assigned. May supervise the work of subordinate staff, which may include voluntary, temporary and benefited staff on a day or project basis. Reports to a Maintenance Specialist III or IV.
The preferred hiring range is $17.01 to $19.46 an hour ($35,373.05 to $40,476.80 annually). Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. This is a full-time, non-exempt, position. The position also provides excellent benefits including 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, City’s retirement options, gym membership reimbursement, and continuing education/training opportunities.
– High school diploma or GED equivalency required.
– At least two years of experience in a related field such as horticulture, forestry, or similar area.
– Required to obtain Commercial Pesticide Applicator license with Category 3a and 3b within 18 months of hire.
– VDOT Flagger certification within 6 months of hire.
– Possession of a valid, appropriate driver’s permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Must be eligible to operate a City vehicle.
– May require a Class B Commercial Driver’s License within six months of employment.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job information and to apply, visit our employment website listed. Applications are only accepted online through the City of Charlottesville employment page.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.