Fleet Mechanic (Specialist II Level)
Do you want to utilize your general maintenance and repair experience to ensure the City of Harrisonburg has a safe and reliable fleet? If so, consider applying for the Fleet Mechanic position with the Harrisonburg Department of Public Transportation!
The ideal candidate for this position will service and repair a variety of vehicles/equipment, including but not limited to: cars, light trucks, medium/heavy trucks, school buses, transit buses, heavy equipment, tractors, and small equipment. Prior experience as an automotive technician is beneficial but is not required to be considered.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications for the Fleet Mechanic at the Specialist II level may be considered for other levels within the department at a rate commensurate with applicant qualifications. The preferred hiring ranges for all levels at which candidates will be considered are below; however, an exact salary will be dependent upon the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
The Fleet Mechanic:
– Performs preventative maintenance inspections, including Virginia State Inspections;
– Diagnoses mechanical problems in conjunction with colleagues;
– Determines required repair or replacement of parts, initiates repair, and makes appropriate repairs on vehicles and equipment;
– May perform minor fabrication work to various vehicles and equipment;
– Makes service calls and repairs vehicles/equipment in the field;
– Prepares history files and maintains work logs and maintenance sheets;
– Utilizes electronic database daily to enter information;
– Assists with snow and ice control.
To find out more information, please visit: https://ww.harrisonburgva.gov/employment.
To Apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a complete a City of Harrisonburg online employment application, to include previous work experience and education history. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted on the City’s website on 12/03/2020).
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.