Fire Captain – Community Risk Reduction Division
The City of Harrisonburg (pop. approximately 54,224) is seeking to fill a Fire Captain role in the Community Risk Reduction Division. Located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, one of the fastest growing cities in Virginia, and home to James Madison University and Eastern Mennonite University, the City offers a wide variety of activities and attractions to match everyone’s interests.
The Fire Captain in the Community Risk Reduction Division is an exempt full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $37.53 – $43.16 per hour (equivalent to $78,062 – $89,772 annually); however, an exact salary will be dependent upon the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience and in compliance with City Policy Section 3: Compensation.
As the Fire Captain in the Community Risk Reduction Division, you will:
– Assist in the planning, development, and implementation of community risk reduction programs and services;
– Assist in training other staff in fire prevention inspection methods;
– Supervise fire inspection and fire investigation staff daily;
– Be responsible for the training and evaluation of staff members;
– Coordinate and manage fire code inspections and fire investigations, operations, and assigned personnel;
– Perform other duties as listed in the ad on the City’s website.
To Apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a:
– Complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application, to include previous work experience and education history;
– Cover letter addressed as “Attention: Hiring Manager”; and
This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted 09/13/2022)
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS Enhanced Hazardous Duty & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.