Financial & Management Specialist
James City County’s Financial and Management Services Department seeks an individual to perform advanced work assisting with the financial and management services needs of the County and its fiscal agencies.
• Assists with budget, accounting, and other financial activities to ensure proper maintenance of the general ledger and accurate recording of transactions; assists with insurance claims and vendor communications as needed.
• Gathers data and prepares reports for meetings, presentations, and documents to illustrate trends and other important information on a regular basis or as needed for Risk Management, Budget, and other divisions.
• Prepares schedules, conducts research, and collaborates with departments or other localities to present information or statistical data in financial publications, reports, or other analyses.
• Maintains budget and financial reporting schedules to ensure that deadlines are met with regards to Board of Supervisors’ meetings, audit, budget, and other requirements.
• Serves as a backup for other positions in Financial and Management Services including the Mail Courier and Claims Technician to ensure adequate coverage of operations.
• Assists with technology support and operational needs for the department; oversees maintenance of office equipment and purchases of materials.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in accounting, business, management, or a related field; some budget or accounting experience using complex financial systems; local government experience preferred.
• Must possess reliable transportation to work site(s).
• Knowledge of principles, methods, and practices of accounting, tax, ledger recording, balancing, and financial reporting; Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other county employees, fiscal agencies, and the public; maintain complex records, assemble and organize data and prepare reports from such data; exercise independent judgment and initiative and attention to detail in accordance with established policies and procedures.