Field/Park Maintenance (Part-Time)
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Parks and Recreation, the Field Maintenance position is responsible for performing various semi-skilled maintenance, landscaping, and construction tasks in the Town’s parks, playing fields, and recreational facilities.
• Performs a variety of landscaping duties (i.e., mows grass, plants flowers and shrubs, weed eats around signs and fence lines, edges curb lines, clears leaves, trees limbs and other debris from park areas; spreads and hauls ground cover, dirt, or mulch; sprays weed killer and fertilizer; prunes trees and shrubs; weeds flower beds; aerates and spreads grass seed; services irrigations systems; grooms ball fields; removes snow and ice, etc.).
• Performs installation, maintenance, and upkeep tasks for various parks, facilities, courts, fencing, and other structures; preforms general construction; repairs and maintains parks or other public facilities; clears and restocks park restrooms
• Assists with special projects and seasonal work; installs and removes holiday decorations and banners, clears park areas of debris following special events; removes and replaces staging materials from sites as needed
• Maintains inventory of equipment, parts, supplies; performs routine safety inspections on equipment and advises supervisor of needed repairs
• Receives various forms, reports, work orders, application instructions or other documents; reviews, completes, processes, forwards, or retains as appropriate
• Consults with assigned staff, assists with complex/problem situations, provided information, researches problems, and initiates problem resolution
• Maintains a comprehensive current knowledge of applicable policies, procedures, codes, and regulations; maintains an awareness of applications, methods, trends, equipment, and advances in parks maintenance and attends conferences, workshops, and training sessions as appropriate
• Operates a variety of equipment and machinery to complete tasks
• Performs other related duties as required
Education and experience
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in maintenance, landscaping, custodial or construction; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Licenses and Certification
• Valid, Virginia driver’s license with the ability to meet/maintain Town insurability requirements