Family Services Specialist I/II/III
• Counsels and provides services to families and individuals by focusing on family preservation and reunification; monitors progress of customers; implements court ordered services; works with families to prevent crises.
• Provides protective services to children, the elderly, and the disabled in the community; secures the well-being of children, older adults, and families; removes victims from homes if necessary; provides after hours on-call services and emergency intervention.
• Manages assigned caseload by maintaining files, telephone contacts, referrals to private vendors for services, and preparing documents.
• Conducts field visits to schools, homes, and hospitals; makes referrals; coordinates with law enforcement and school personnel; makes serious and complex decisions and defends them in court.
• Makes referrals for services by being knowledgeable of local services and resources, working with service providers in the community, serving on interagency service assessment teams; serves as client advocate in accessing services and working with other agencies such as schools, courts, and mental health professionals.
• Provides assessment and case management for customers; develops and implements service plans to address family and individual needs.
• Provides 24-hour on-call responsibilities and is trained to provide emergency interventions.
• (Family Services Specialist III) Assists in case-related situations; represents the agency by actively serving on local, regional and state workgroups and taskforces; provides trainings for agency staff and/or community partners; covers cases during absences, leave and vacancies
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in human services or related field and some related human services experience.
• Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to analyze and use judgment in accomplishing diversified duties; think independently within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.