Family Services Specialist I/II
• Counsel and provide services to families and individuals by focusing on family preservation and reunification; monitor progress of customers; implement court ordered services; work with families to prevent crises.
• Provides protective services to children, the elderly, and the disabled in the community; secures the well-being of children, older adults and families; removes victims from homes if necessary; provides after hours on call services and emergency intervention.
• Manage assigned caseload by maintaining files, telephone contacts, referrals to private vendors for services, and preparing documents.
• Conduct field visits to schools, homes, and hospitals; coordinate with law enforcement and school personnel; makes serious and complex decisions and defends them in court.
• Makes referrals for services by being knowledgeable of local services and resources, working with service providers in the community, serving on interagency service assessment teams; serves as client advocate in accessing services and working with other agencies such as schools, courts and mental health professionals.
• Provide assessment and case management for customers; develop and implement service plans to address family and individual needs.
• Provide 24-hour on-call responsibilities and is trained to provide emergency interventions.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in human services; or, a bachelor’s degree in any field accompanied by some related human services experience.
• Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to analyze and use judgment in accomplishing diversified duties; think independently within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.