Family Services Assistant
James City County’s Social Services Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work educating clients about available social, health and economic resources; supporting and assisting clients by providing in-home counseling; and assisting with the implementation of prescribed service plans.
• Receives and evaluates incoming calls to child protective services (CPS), adult protective services (APS) and foster care; provides backup to CPS, APS and foster care on-call services.
• Provides direct and ongoing services to clients as directed by assigned worker or supervisor; assists family services specialists with developing, organizing and conducting programs to prevent and resolve problems; assists in the formation of service objectives and development of the service plan; arranges for delivery of services; records cases and summarizes services provided for reports.
• Assists family services specialists in completing forms and applications to include eligibility forms; assists customers in obtaining and verifying client information; provides transportation to eligibility appointments; serves as liaison between the customer, family services specialist and eligibility worker to assure customer receives the benefits for which they are eligible.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; Bachelor’s degree in human services or related field preferred; some related administrative work experience, preferably in the human services field.
• Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to analyze and use judgment in accomplishing diversified duties; think independently within the limits of policies, standards and precedents; express ideas concisely orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other County officials and the public.
Accepting applications until 11:59pm EST 10/21/2022.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov