Environmental Sustainability Coordinator
• Plans, develops, implements and administers a comprehensive energy conservation and greenhouse gas reduction program for County operations and tracks usage, maximizes cost efficiencies and optimizes environmental performance; works with an interdepartmental team to develop the above plans for County operations.
• Works with neighboring localities, organizations and citizen groups to promote community wide energy conservation and greenhouse gas reductions.
• Develops and analyzes budgets and funding streams to finance conservation programs; processes invoices for utility bills, grants and environmental initiatives.
• Develops events, publicity and programs in conjunction with staff and citizen committees to promote conservation programs in a variety of areas; acts as staff liaison to Clean County Commission and Keep James City County Beautiful; represents the County in community, regional and state activities.
• Coordinates with Facilities Maintenance and Capital Projects to prioritize energy efficiency projects and quantify cost savings.
• Conducts special projects among all General Services divisions in strategic planning as it relates to environmental sustainability.
• This job is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during and following natural disasters and emergency situations.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, environmental policy, environmental science or energy management; and some experience in program management, especially in environmental or sustainability; Master’s Degree in a related field or Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification preferred.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of energy efficiency and renewable energy; organizing, planning, coordinating, managing and directing comprehensive conservation projects; some knowledge of local, state and federal energy regulations.
• Skill in the use of computer software.
• Ability to use economic and accounting principles and practices in the analysis and reporting of budget and funding streams; excellent ability to work effective in the public realm with citizens, staff and elected officials and to communicate complex ideas.