Environmental Inspector I/II/III
James City County’s Stormwater and Resource Protection Division seeks an individual to perform responsible (Inspector I/II) or experienced (Inspector III) work monitoring, planning, and inspecting a variety of environmental development programs for the County. There are three levels of Inspector distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Inspector I: $42,028 / year or higher DOQ
Inspector II: $45,074 / year or higher DOQ
Inspector III: $48,347 / year or higher DOQ
• Performs compliance monitoring on private and County development projects in accordance with related laws, regulations and programs; performs preconstruction meetings for erosion and sediment control program requirements; responds to citizen inquiries about erosion and sediment control.
• Utilizes PermitLink software, issue land disturbing permits and track progress of development projects; review and process record drawings and construction certifications for stormwater management facilities; computes, with supervision, performance surety on projects; reviews progress of guaranteed work to ensure compliance with approved plans.
• Investigates and reports Damage Assessments as needed following major weather events; provides assistance regarding drainage and erosion control problems during construction, responds promptly to citizen questions, complaints and concerns relating to environmental and drainage concerns.
• (Inspector II) Performs plan of development reviews on basic cases for erosion and sediment control program requirements.
• (Inspector III) Performs plan of development reviews on complex cases for erosion and sediment control program requirements; computes and provides recommendations on release or reduction of performance surety on projects; case management of administrative or formal Chesapeake Bay Exceptions and administrative or local wetland board tidal wetland applications.