Volunteers in our Rescue Department perform responsible protective services work providing emergency medical care at the scene of an injury or illness and during transport to medical facilities. The EMS volunteer drives and operates EMS and Rescue vehicles and assists in the maintenance and repair of station and equipment. The EMS volunteer must work well with other emergency services personnel often under hazardous and stressful conditions, responding promptly to directions given by the on scene supervisor. The EMS volunteer may also perform specialized rescue functions such as vehicle extrication, water rescue, search and recovery and others. Performs other duties as assigned. The EMS volunteer is responsible for covering assigned shifts. EMS volunteers are required to obtain and maintain certifications as noted below. The EMS volunteer reports to a chain of command consisting of volunteer and staff supervisors.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS / PREFERENCES
• Relevant experience in an emergency medical services agency
• Must obtain Virginia EMT certification within six months of becoming a member.
• Valid Virginia Driver’s license; must have and maintain an excellent driving record with the ability to meet and maintain insurability requirements and comply with state regulations covering drivers of emergency vehicles
• Must be 20 (twenty) years of age or older
• Subject to complete criminal history background search with acceptable results
• Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands Section of this job description
• Follow departmental expectations and adhere to all rules, regulations, policies and procedures in the Town of Christiansburg Personnel Handbook and all Rescue Department policies, procedures and protocols.