Emergency Department Communication Specialist
Carilion Clinic’s Emergency Department Communication/Medcom Specialist maintains responsibility for coordination of ED communications. The Emergency Department Communication/Medcom Specialist is also required to support Carilion’s hallmarks of service excellence and quality for all job responsibilities.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
-Receives and sends communications via telephone, fax, intranet, and radio. Records information via EPIC and Teletracking. Responsible for taking inbound EMS calls and relaying information to physician of record, lead ED MD, and or ED lead CTL. Responsible for passing medical care information and instructions back to in bound EMS agencies based on protocols or direct physician orders. Act as a mentor to MEDCOM Spec 1s.
– Prioritizes incoming calls according to emergency or non-emergency nature. Appropriately communicates with other stakeholders to make decisions on patient placement and to determine interventions required.
– Page and or call consultants and others as needed. Follows established processes for monitoring of pending communications and request.
– Facilitates communication with physicians and staff by distributing cellular devices for use during the shifts. Functions autonomously in MEDCOM and acts as lead Specialist when on duty.
– Facilitates communications between Physicians, LIPs, ED CTLS, staff and other outside entities on matter pertinent to patient care.
– Facilitates communication with Management Team and Clinical Team Leaders as dictated by the needs of the day
– Maintains EMS drug box inventory and oversees the trading out of used or expired drug boxes.
– Enters bed request in teletracking and updates EPIC with status changes.
– Participates in basic Performance Improvement activities. Participates in cost containment measures at the unit level. Promotes an aesthetic and safe unit environment.
Make the most of your clinical skills at an organization that has earned numerous awards for clinical excellence. Based in Roanoke, VA, our community-based health care organization encompasses a comprehensive network of hospitals, primary and specialty physician practices, and other complementary services.