Emergency Communications Specialist Trainee
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Receiving, classifying, processing and dispatching emergency service calls; receiving, recording and forwarding non-emergency service calls; preparing and maintaining records and files; preparing reports.
– Receives, screens, processes and monitors emergency 911 calls from the public and other police/public safety agencies by radio and telephone; evaluates, categorizes and prioritizes calls; determines location of incidents and confirms jurisdiction of requests.
– Monitors alarm systems, building security, internet exchanges sites
-Dispatches appropriate agency personnel to incident locations; determines nature of emergency, type of responder needed, number of units needed and nearest available units; dispatches law enforcement units, fire fighters, ambulances, wreckers, breathalyzer operators, VDOT, utility crews or others as appropriate; coordinates services/actions with other fire/rescue and law enforcement agencies.
– Operates telephones, communications equipment and computers associated with police, fire, rescue and emergency medical communications; operates general office equipment such as a typewriter, computer, printer, copy machine, fax machine, shredder or calculator.
– Maintains communications with all parties involved in emergency situations; monitors status/location of responding emergency units; assists emergency personnel in locating addresses; provides pre-arrival medical instructions as appropriate; conveys information between callers and emergency personnel, general public, public safety agencies, utilities, businesses, alarm companies, department personnel or other individuals/agencies; responds to requests from officers for backup, emergency units, information or other assistance; notifies hospitals of major accidents.
– Responds to non-emergency calls from the public or other individuals; directs callers to various agencies as appropriate; takes/relays messages for department employees or other departments; pages various county personnel as needed.
– Updates VDOT on road closures/conditions. Updates community on road closures/conditions and detours via social media.
– Responds to requests from authorized individuals for license plate, driver’s license, missing/wanted person, criminal history, warrant, location of individual, stolen property, telephone number, or other information.