Emergency Communications Officer I/II/III/IV
Would you like to be a crucial link in public safety? James City County Emergency Communications Division seeks individuals to perform responsible protective service work using a Computer-Aided Dispatch system to dispatch calls to Police, Fire, Emergency Medical Services, Animal Control, Game Warden, and James City Service Authority (JCSA) personnel, usually in response to emergency situations.
• Emergency Communications Officer I – $35,832
• Emergency Communications Officer II – $38,527
• Emergency Communications Officer III – $41,428
• Emergency Communications Officer IV- $44,545
A comprehensive training program is provided to learn the necessary skills for the job. Growth opportunities are available. The job includes quickly and correctly determining the nature of the call, identifying the correct code, and using the Computer-Aided Dispatch system to log and dispatch emergency and non-emergency calls to the appropriate authority. Must be able to work shifts during the day, evening, and midnights, as well as weekends, and holidays.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school diploma; some related education and work experience preferred.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Must be able to input data via a computerized network at a reasonable rate of speed as determined by the department.
• Must be able to maintain composure under a variety of extreme emergency situations, speak clearly and distinctly, hear and understand radio and telephone transmissions, and deal courteously and tactfully with public and other agencies.