Emergency Communications Manager
The Town of Farmville is accepting applications for an Emergency Communications Manager for the Farmville Police Department.
This individual supervises the staff and activities of the emergency communications center. Supervises and engages in receiving incoming phone calls to the E-911 system and dispatches the appropriate agency to respond to the need for assistance. Work significantly impacts the safety of the general public and the responding agency personnel. Performs responsible technical work on an assigned shift dispatching police, fire, rescue, and public works personnel usually in response to emergency situations.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
• Supervise the daily activities and dispatch staff of the Communications Center.
• Schedule staff to meet shift and operational needs.
• Perform a variety of administrative duties associated with supervising Communication Operators I and II to include ensuring training.
• Receive and transmit messages primarily by radio and maintains radio log.
• Receive complaints in person or by telephone.
• Receive emergency calls, determine location and nature of emergency, and dispatches appropriate personnel and equipment.
• Monitor teletype traffic, send teletype messages, and maintain teletype log.
• Monitor primary and secondary police frequencies and emergency frequencies.
• Dispatch vehicles where and when needed.
• Take telephone calls concerning complaints, pass information on to appropriate unit and make record of calls.
• Make criminal history checks.
• Receive bank, business, and residential alarms.
• Coordinate the selection, installation, and performance of center equipment.
• Oversee and participate in hiring and training of Communication Operators.
• Act as the Terminal Agency Coordinator which ensures compliance of VCIN rules and policies.
• Prepare the yearly departmental budget and forecast expenditures.
• Write grants to assist with purchasing communications equipment.
• Coordinate with the GIS Department to develop and or adjust new layers for mapping system.
• Perform other job duties as assigned.