electrical plans examiner (i, ii, iii or iv)
the city of alexandria’s code administration team is looking to hire an electrical plans examiner i, ii, iii or iv. the positional level that the selected candidate will be classified as will be commensurate to the attributes displayed in their application.
the department of code administration is seeking an electrical plans examiner. the electrical plans examiner conducts reviews of electrical system plans for compliance with requirements from applicable codes and local jurisdiction regulations. the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate plans examiner level below. this would be evaluated by the hiring team and based on the selected candidate’s experience, certifications, and on where they fit best on the career ladder. this work is performed under the general supervision of a plan review services division chief.
• assist inspectors regarding code interpretations and functional intent of usbc requirements, construction methods and performance of materials;
• reviews construction documents with contractors, homeowners, architects, and engineers regarding the requirements of the usbc, related construction practices and industry standards;
• coordinates architectural layouts with structural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and fire-protection to minimize potential construction or performance conflicts between systems;
• conducts research, as needed, and evaluates equipment, materials, and construction assemblies for compliance with usbc requirements and industry standards;
• reviews and approves shop drawings and third-party quality control inspection reports submitted pursuant to the usbc and the city of alexandria special inspections program;
• utilizes available electronic tools to assist in reviewing and processing permit and construction;
• works with other plans examiners, inspectors, permit center staff and administrative staff documents;
• attends training to maintain continuous education and certification requirements;
• maintains a current knowledge of city and department policies, procedures, and guidelines