Economic Development & Tourism Coordinator
Kilmarnock VA (pop. 1200) is located in Lancaster County on Virginia’s northern most peninsula along the Chesapeake Bay, the “Northern Neck”. The Town serves a much larger population of nearly 40,000 from our surrounding communities. Whether you’re shopping, strolling our charming downtown, grabbing a meal or enjoying Town Centre Park, Kilmarnock is the place to enjoy small town charm, friendly merchants and a warm welcome!
The position assists with professional and administrative responsibilities related to promoting business growth and economic development within the Town. In addition, the position assists in tourism development and support for the Visit Kilmarnock VA and Virginia’s River Realm brands including marketing, public relations and visitor support with our travel Ambassadors.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate early in their career and seeking broad economic development, tourism and general government experience. The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced, multi-faceted work environment. Reporting to the Town Manager, the position works closely with the Town’s Planning and Zoning and Community Development functions and may do collaborative work with these functions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Providing support and resources to new and existing businesses, including small business owners and entrepreneurs, and balancing divergent needs;
• Collaboration with state and local agencies, chambers of commerce on business, tourism and related issues;
• Creating and ensuring that Kilmarnock’s economic development goals and strategic initiatives are achieved;
• Developing close, productive working relationships with the business community to attract and retain business and, developing private, public and academic sector partnerships at all levels as needed;
• Developing and implementing marketing programs for business attraction and retention strategies.
• Promoting the Town of Kilmarnock as a prime business location and encouraging the expansion and retention of existing businesses.
• through efforts that advance innovation, competitiveness and resiliency
• Developing and implementing marketing approaches for both the Town of Kilmarnock and for Virginia’s River Realm brands to grow the region’s tourism base.
• May be assigned projects in support of other Town initiatives.