Director, Public Works & Utilities
Plans, directs and administers the day-to-day operations of the Public Works & Utilities Department. Performs complex professional and administrative work coordinating and supervising maintenance, construction, engineering, water works, and operations of the Town Public Works & Utilities Department.
• Manages the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of the Town’s infrastructure, to include coordination with contractors and vendors.
• Works with governmental agencies, ensuring compliance, permitting, and cooperation as required on various projects.
• Plans, develops and implements proposals and programs to properly administer local funds, grant funds, and VDOT maintenance funds to maintain and expand services in accordance with the needs of the Town.
• Manages the daily administrative and technical operations of the department and the deployment of resources to projects in a fiscally responsible manner. This includes activities of the Town’s building maintenance, grounds, streets, sewer, water works, and engineering functions.
• Provides annual support for the development of a recommended budget for the Capital Improvements Program.
• Attends pre-construction meetings with contractors/developers to discuss projects. Conducts on-site inspections of projects under construction to ensure compliance.
• Participates in management teams and committees as appointed by the Town Manager
• Responsible for the overall leadership and oversight of the Public Works department & Town Engineer. Provides Leadership, council, motivation and constructive performance feedback to all assigned staff in support of the Town’s Vision.
• Promotes and ensures proper employee training per OSHA guidelines and compliance with Town’s adopted safety program and departmental safety procedures.
• Serves as essential personnel and must be available during emergency situations involving matters of the Public Works & Utilities Department.
• Bachelor’s Degree with course work emphasis in civil engineering, public administration, business administration or related field or equivalent combination of training & experience required; Master’s Degree preferred.
• Minimum of 6-9 years of progressive experience in a public works/utilities department is preferred, including 4 or more years of supervisory experience.
For a complete job description including qualifications, please visit www.smithfieldva.gov.