Director of Real Estate Assessments Division
James City County’s Real Estate Department seeks individual to perform high level official and administrative work directing and supervising the appraisal of real property in the County for assessment purposes and County mapping. Includes planning, coordinating, and evaluating the work of Real Estate Appraisers, and other support staff.
• Provides the effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work, and related activities.
• Provides the leadership to create an accurate and complete annual landbook to bill real property taxes.
• Performs a general reassessment of all County real property every two years and responds to inquiries from taxpayers relating to appeals; appraises commercial, multi-family, industrial, agricultural, and residential properties.
• Maintains a user-friendly comprehensive and readily available database of property information, which is continuously improved and updated.
• Provides assistance in mapping, and addressing property information or valuations of property for all County departments and agencies.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in real estate, business management, public administration, or related field, supplemented by IAAO courses 101, 102, 112, 300, 311, 400; extensive experience in property appraisal, GIS, and mapping, including considerable supervisory or lead experience; designation as an assessor from a recognized organization.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of leadership techniques, principles and procedures to assign work, schedule, supervise, train, and evaluate the work of assigned staff; purchasing practices.
• Skill in use of computer software including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships.