DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS
Hanover County Government is seeking a Director of Public Works to lead our excellent team of professionals in our Transportation, Solid Waste, Airport, Environmental, and Engineering departments. The perfect leader for this role will consider themselves a dynamic leader in the Public Works arena who is passionate about being a public servant, excels under pressure, and enjoys problem solving. If you have these characteristics and more, we encourage you to apply for this opening!
General Description: This is an executive level professional position. The Director is a Department Head and performs professional and administrative tasks to oversee the County’s waste disposal and recycling programs, airport, programs for flood plain management, Chesapeake Bay Act, Stormwater Management and Erosion and Sediment Control, drainage easement and street sign maintenance, engineering functions related to community development, and capital project management for drainage and road projects.
Organization: The Director of Public Works reports to a Deputy County Administrator and oversees a staff of approximately eighty-six (86) employees. The incumbent directly supervises the Deputy Director of Public Works, Airport Manager, Traffic Engineer, and the Chief of Operations & Maintenance.
• Supervises employees, performing related human resources functions and completing necessary paperwork.
• Directs financial operations of the department, including development and monitoring of the department’s budget.
• Develops policies/procedures that comply with applicable state/county/federal rules, regulations and laws.
• Ensures appropriate service regarding current and anticipated needs of the County.
• Responds to requests for information/data from County Administration and the Board of Supervisors.
• Receives and investigates inquiries from the general public pertaining to departmental services or programs.
• Represents the County Board of Supervisors on Commissions and Boards, such as Central Virginia Waste Management Authority, County Roads Committee, County Airport Committee, and the Transportation Planning Organization.
• Delivers presentations before various civic and community groups to promote County improvements.
• Performs related work as assigned.
Hiring range is $150,000 – $165,000 plus excellent benefits. For more information or to apply for this position, please visit our career site at www.hanovercountyjobs.com