Director of Public Works
Performs difficult professional and administrative work overseeing the County’s Division of General Properties and Division of Solid Waste. This includes oversight of Building Maintenance, Capital Projects, Custodial, Fleet, Solid Waste Collection, Transfer, and Disposal. Leads and directs the work of others. Partners with other administrative departments to provide strategic initiatives that facilitate the successful implementation of County goals and objectives. Work is performed under the general direction of the County Administrator with latitude for independent judgment and action. A full job profile may be viewed at: https://www.bedfordcountyva.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=9062
Minimum Requirements Include:
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in construction management, civil engineering or related field.
• Considerable experience in the public works field.
• Relevant supervisory experience.
• Thorough knowledge of buildings and park maintenance, fleet maintenance, park development and related public works operations.
• Ability to review and analyze plans and specifications for the constructions of public facilities.
• Ability to formulate comprehensive operational policies and procedures.
• Ability to prepare technical reports.
• Ability to supervise the work of department staff.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials; other public officials, associates, contractors, and the general public.
• Must possess a valid Commonwealth of Virginia driver’s license, proof of insurance required to drive on County business, and acceptable driving record.
• Must possess Virginia Commercial Pesticide Operator’s License
• Must possession Virginia Waste Management Facility Operator’s License
Bedford County maintains a safe, drug-free workplace for its employees. Drug screening, driving record check, a criminal background check, and previous employer references are required for all positions as conditions of pre-employment. EOE / ADA / Minorities / Females / Vets