Director of Public Works
The Town of Abingdon, Virginia is currently taking applications for the position of Director of Public Works. This position operates under the direct supervision of the Town Manager and is responsible for the oversight of the town’s Public Works Department. The Director must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with town officials, staff, other public officials, consultants, contractors and the general public. Applicants must possess strong writing, public speaking, research, collaboration and problem-solving skills and possess the ability to lead multiple projects serving as the main point of contact.
The Director of Public Works is responsible for:
• To plan, direct, manage, and oversee the activities, projects, and operations of the Public Works Department including street and right-of-way maintenance, solid waste collection, shop/garage, GIS and engineering.
• Represent department to other Town departments, elected officials, government agencies, local businesses and the public; Resolve areas of dispute; Ensures compliance and keeps abreast of the current federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including environmental and OSHA
• Develops and implements the Town’s Capital Improvement Plan by project development, acquisition of funding, procurement of design services, project bidding and construction management
• Makes field inspections of public works projects to ascertain status and quality
• Coordinates projects and operations with other governmental agencies; Oversees and monitors ongoing projects
• Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Civil Engineering, or closely related field and/or
• 5-7 years of experience in Public Works/Construction within or for local government
Please send a cover letter and resume to Director of Human Resources, Stacey Reichler at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 2019.