Director of Planning and Community Development
The Director of Planning & Community Development is responsible for leading the Town’s development efforts and ensuring proper administration of local ordinances. The Director of Planning & Community Development shall have demonstrated knowledge within one or more planning specialties of transportation planning, comprehensive planning, and/or environmental planning. With minimal supervision, the Director of Planning & Community Development encourages Town development for the purpose of economic growth while simultaneously protecting the Town’s environment and heritage. The Director of Planning & Community Development must balance various needs to come up with innovative solutions for development. The Director of Planning & Community Development shall serve as the Town’s Zoning Administrator. This position reports directly to the Town Manager and serves on the Town’s Executive Leadership Team.
• Works with other professionals such as architects, engineers, construction managers, and surveyors
• Engages with the public concerning planning and development matters
• Prepares reports and plans on a variety of Town projects and initiatives
• Understands population trends to predict the demand that will be made on an area
• Represents the Town in local and regional planning meetings and discussions
• Interprets and applies applicable state, county, and local codes, ordinances, and regulations
• Initiates actions necessary to correct deficiencies in Town Code and internal policies
• Oversees the review of development applications, permit applications, and site plans
• Leads long-range planning efforts for communities consistent with Comprehensive and Vision Plan documents
• Develops strategies to promote economic and community development or efficient land use consistent with community goals
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
• Well-developed knowledge of planning principles and practices
• In-depth knowledge of one or more planning specializations, such as economic development, transportation planning, or environmental planning
• Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with regulations and apply regulations to field conditions
• Master’s degree in Planning or related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
• Must be eligible to work in the United States and submit to a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screening.