Director of Planning and Community Development
The Town is seeking a Director of Planning and Community Development; a high energy, proactive individual that delivers
results, communicates effectively, and demonstrates high levels of integrity. This position provides leadership for the
Planning Department and is responsible for developing and administering programs and systems to support and promote
high performance strategies to meet organizational needs, vision, and values.
To apply, email a cover letter with resume, salary history, and five professional references to Ms. Laura McIntosh, Interim
Human Resources Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume review begins May 21, 2021. Finalists will participate
in interviews and skill assessments on June 7-8, 2021. Interviews with the Town Manager will follow at a subsequent
time. The Town of Front Royal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The hiring range is $78,000 to $95,000 annually. Base salary and compensation are negotiable based on experience and
qualifications. The Town offers a comprehensive benefits package.
1) Manage consultant and assist staff with the rewrite of the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinance
2) Ensure that Comprehensive Plan and Land Use Ordinance, and site plan approval is predictable
3) Create a business-friendly culture by stream-lining the development and inspection services
4) Establish a Building Code and Inspection Division
5) Aggressively enforce the Town’s Blighted Building Program
6) Work closely with the newly created Front Royal Economic Development Authority
7) Work with the Departments of Finance, Public Works, and Energy to develop a Capital Improvement Plan
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban Municipal
Planning, Civil Engineer. or a related field; Master’s degree is highly desirable and preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Three to five years of successful leadership at a senior/administrator level in an organization
with comparable responsibilities; possessing a broad skill set appropriate to the breadth of local government operations;
and consistently increasing responsibilities in career growth. Experience in the private sector as a Land Development
Engineer is highly desirable.