Director of Operations – Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority
The Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority (VPPSA) has an opening for Director of Operations. The Director of Operations plans, operates, and administers the solid waste operations and services provided to VPPSA’s member communities including recycling, composting, waste collection, transfer and disposal. Provides immediate supervision to operations supervisors and second and third level supervision of the facility operating personnel and contractors. Reports directly to the Executive Director.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible for staffing of the facilities, hiring of contractors, and supervision of VPPSA employees and contractors
• Coordinates the actions of recyclables processing, composting, waste transfer, and landfilling for a region of 362,343 population
• Represents VPPSA in discussions with contractors, equipment suppliers, and the general public with regard to the operation of VPPSA facilities
• Prepares plans, specifications for equipment procurement. Performs purchasing duties
• Develops cost estimates, budget, schedules of expenditures and other financial operating information for the facilities
• Administers personnel policies and actions for the VPPSA facility operating staff, including developing job descriptions, supervision of hiring and evaluation, and other related activities
Graduation from an accredited college or university, a minimum of 5 years’ experience in solid waste management, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Waste Management Facility Operator License Class l preferred.
The position has a salary range of $66,000 to $99,000. The compensation package includes comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, paid leave, and designated paid holidays. VPPSA is a participating member of the Virginia Retirement System.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to David Magnant at firstname.lastname@example.org. VPPSA is a drug-free, smoke free workplace. EOE