Director of Operations
The Director of Operations plans, designs, constructs, operates, and administers the solid waste operations and services provided to the member communities including recycling, composting, waste collection, transfer and disposal. Provides immediate supervision to operations supervisors and second and third level supervision of the facility operating personnel and contractors. Reports to the Executive Director.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible for staffing of the facilities, hiring of contractors, and supervision of VPPSA employees and contractors
• Coordinates the actions of recyclables processing, composting, waste transfer, and landfilling for a region of 282,000 population
• Represents VPPSA in discussions with professional engineering and design firms, contractors, equipment suppliers, and the general public with regard to the operation of VPPSA facilities
• Prepares plans, specifications for construction project, and equipment procurement. Performs purchasing duties
• Develops cost estimates, budget, schedules of expenditures and other financial operating information for the facilities
• Administers personnel policies and actions for the VPPSA facility operating staff, including developing job description, supervision of hiring and evaluation, and other related activities
• Serves as injury coordinator and administers workers compensations cases
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in civil engineering or related solid waste field, a minimum of 5 years’ experience in solid waste including design, construction, and operation of solid waste facilities; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Waste Management Facility Operator License Class l, preferred.
The position has a salary range of $66,000 to $99,000. The compensation package includes comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, paid leave, and designated paid holidays. VPPSA is a participating member of the Virginia Retirement System.
Please submit your resume to David Magnant at email@example.com. VPPSA is a drug-free smoke free workplace. EOE