Director of Finance
The Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission (TJPDC) seeks an experienced part-time or full-time Director of Finance to join our 15-member innovative planning and leadership team. The TJPDC is a regional planning agency that offers a broad range of planning services in the areas of land-use, community development, environment, transportation, housing, and economic development, as well as legislative services.
This part-time or full-time senior level position is responsible for directing the fiscal functions of the TJPDC in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the US Office of Management and Budget. The director serves as a strategic advisor to the Executive Director and leadership team in forming and monitoring the agency’s annual budget, grants, and contracts and is a key member of the leadership staff responsible for supervising, controlling, interpreting, and communicating the fiscal operations of the agency to the Executive Director and the Commission. The Director of Finance manages the agency’s computerized accounting system, payroll processes, and human resource functions.
Essential functions include budget development and management, general accounting and supervision, financial reporting, invoicing, audit coordination support, annual cognizant agency review, grants management, contract compliance, procurement, expense and operations analysis, and benefits administration.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or related field and 5+ years of experience required.
• Experience in senior-level accounting position with foundation in governmental accounting required. Familiarity with grants and modified accrual accounting methods helpful.
• Experience with QuickBooks Pro or other accounting and payroll software required. Proficient computer skills, including database management and proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite required.
• Attention to detail, including ensuring high accounting standards and quality reporting of financial performance of the agency.
• Experience with Human Resources administration highly desired.
• Experience in a local or regional government environment preferred.