Director of Economic Development
Direct, plan and lead the economic development programs and activities for the city of Petersburg aimed at attracting new businesses, retaining existing businesses, increasing the city’s tax base and providing an opportunity for neighborhood revitalization and growth. This is an unclassified position.
• Develops, initiates, and implements all facets of a comprehensive short-term and long-term economic development strategic plan for the city, and related comprehensive plan objectives.
• Advances the city’s economic development priorities by fostering strategic partnerships with a host of key stakeholders including employers and small businesses, state and federal agencies, non-profit community development corporations, and financial institutions.
• Directs the efforts of the city and interested private and non-profit institutions relating to public and private economic development initiatives.
• Develop and analyze industry financial models and tools to evaluate and recommend development initiatives.
• Implements marketing program for business investments and coordinates ongoing prospective development programs.
• Develops and presents tailored prospect packages.
• Negotiates with industry to encourage locating to the area.
• Responsible for the design, development, and implementation of action-oriented economic development plans.
• Conducts feasibility studies on proposed developments and expansions.
• Prepares and presents reports and makes presentations as required.
• Serves as the principal city staff coordinator to the industrial development authority for economic development.
• Forges partnerships and establishes communication between the city government, neighboring counties, state and other local economic government agencies, educational institutions, existing industry, and other appropriate professional and trade associations.
• Researches all sources of possible federal or state funding affecting local goals and objectives.
• Assesses economic impact of federal and local dollars on employment and unemployment rates.
• Advises the city manager on the economic status of the city in regard to anticipated changes and projections relative to current and future growth.
• Performs related tasks as required.