Director of Community Development
The Town of Abingdon is seeking an experienced planning professional to serve as Director of Community Development. The successful candidate reports to the Town Manager and will manage and deliver plan review, Town code interpretation and enforcement, zoning, land use, and other duties as assigned by the Town Manager.
Qualifications, Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with a major in public administration, planning, architecture, urban design,
geography, business administration, or a related field; Master’s degree is preferred.
• Five years of increasingly responsible technical and managerial experience in community development, planning, or closely related field.
• Certified Zoning Administrator (CZA) designation within twelve months of hire; AICP certification is preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret, explain, and apply applicable laws, codes, regulations, and design standards.
• Ability to prioritize, organize, and manage multiple projects.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment, functioning for the good of the organization over the individual.
• Customer-focused while understanding the impact of decisions on other departments’ work.
• Ability to assess environmental cues and maintain situational awareness.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage people and programs, providing clear direction and establishing accountability.
• Model strong work ethic and commitment to the community.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume, with salary expectations and professional references, to The Berkley Group via email at email@example.com While the position is open until filled, review of candidates will begin on or around July 5, 2021; however, highly qualified candidates may be invited for interview at any time. Inquiries relating to the Director of Community Development position may be directed to:
The Berkley Group
P.O. Box 181
Bridgewater, Virginia 22812