Development & Communications Assistant
• Maintains the website and social media accounts as needed. Helps improve social media through creating engaging written, graphic and video content. Prints materials as needed; writes thank you letters; manages and oversees mailings; designs brochures, invitations, etc. for fundraising purposes.
• Assist the Executive Director with minute write-ups, media consults, and community outreach.
• Assists with grant applications, if necessary; manages donation database; performs administrative/clerical tasks, as needed.
• Provides administrative support for fundraising and special events and assists in preparing Annual Report.
• Operates and maintains standard office equipment, including personal computer, facsimile, Xerox C70, copier, and phones.
• Assist Executive Director with correspondence both internal and external to the needs of OTMDC.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school degree; some college course work in public administration, fundraising, business or related field preferred; considerable experience in customer services, clerical support, or related field.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required along with good organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
• Knowledge of office best practices and procedures; correct business English, spelling and punctuation; ability to edit communications for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and tone. Skilled in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite. Graphic design experience preferred.
• Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team. Ability to multitask and prioritize daily responsibilities required. Must be able to make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures; learn and use specialized language and technical terms; work under pressure; set priorities, organize, and perform work independently; take minutes and transcribe accurately at a reasonable rate of speed; monitor the daily developments and progress of work performed and to modify or initiate corrective action, as appropriate; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public; deal with public relations problems courteously and tactfully.
• Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.