Deputy Sheriff I/II/III
• Observes, checks, monitors, and controls the movement of all individuals entering the courthouse to ensure the security and safety of all court personnel, judges, clerks, attorneys, witnesses, plaintiffs, defendants and public.
• Maintains security and order in courtrooms overseeing courtroom case load and trial proceedings; serves all civil processes issued by the courts, other judicial offices, attorneys in Virginia, and those received from out of state in keeping with Virginia law and Williamsburg-James City County Sheriff’s Office policies.
• (Deputy Sheriff II/III) Opens and closes courtrooms; assists and advises junior deputies with more difficult or hazardous situations as instructed; assumes command of the shift/unit in the absence of or at the direction of the Sergeant; ensures that calls for service are answered and dealt with in a timely manner; serves as needed in a specialty area such as Field Training Deputy, or Instructor.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; Associate’s degree in related field preferred.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of employment a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Must be a citizen of the United States and be at least 21 years of age at time of hire.
• Must not have been convicted of, pleaded guilty to, or no contest to a felony or an offense that would be a felony if committed in Virginia; certain crimes involving moral turpitude; any misdemeanor sex offense; domestic assault; or others that cannot be explained to the satisfaction of the
• Knowledge of modern methods and practices of court operations, civil service process, applicable federal, state and local laws, and ordinances; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.