Deputy Director of Real Estate Assessments Division
James City County’s Real Estate Department seeks individual to perform lead technical and professional work involving appraisal of residential, multi-family, commercial, industrial and agricultural real properties, requiring the application of the full range of appraisal principles, methods and techniques, often on difficult assessments.
• Provides effective supervision of support staff, appraisers and technicians as assigned, including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing, and assigning work, and related activities.
• Performs field inspections of existing improvements to review and update market values for reassessment.
• Appraises construction of commercial properties; performs field inspection to collect data on type of construction and project; develops an estimate of value; appraises property for right-of-way and easements; prepares and makes special appraisal reports; performs appraisals of properties being considered for purchase by the County.
• Collects and analyzes income and expense information; develops current discount rates to be used in the valuation process using the direct capitalization method; maintains Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal System database for accuracy and updates.
• Analyzes sales or assessment and other data to review quality and equity of assessment, and to reevaluate new and existing improvements and vacant land; determines equitable values for all plats of newly subdivided land using GIS technology; revalues properties after rezoning; aids in mapping and addressing property information or valuations of property for County departments and agencies.
• Responds to taxpayers’ issues, concerns, and questions regarding individual assessments, assessment practices and policies; conducts meetings and arranges appointments; prepares and makes oral presentation to defend assessments before the Board of Equalization; testifies in condemnation cases as an expert witness.