Deputy Director, Human Services
The purpose of this position is to assist the Human Services Director with management of the Department of Human Services. The position works within broad policy and organizational guidelines, plans and implements projects, reports progress of major program initiatives through reports and meetings. Directly responsible for creating a therapeutic model for Chesapeake Juvenile Services and using quality assurance initiatives to create excellent outcomes for Benefits and Child Welfare.
Demonstrates the City of Chesapeake’s C.A.R.E. (Courteous, Attentive, Responsive, and Empowered) standards and values the City’s Strategic Anchors: 1. We make Chesapeake an exceptional place to live, learn, work, farm and play 2. We provide outstanding service to Council, our community, our customers, and each other. 3. We will be fiscally responsible and sustainable.
· Supervises staff, oversees staff development, assigns and evaluates work, counseling, and recommending disciplinary action.
· Oversees the Fraud and the Continuous Quality Improvement Team and evaluates performance of agency programming.
· Establish performance and quality standards for employees.
· Consults with City Human Resources and the Human Services Director on disciplinary issues.
· Identifies and organizes training opportunities to address knowledge and sill gaps.
· Works with Human Resources to evaluate staffing levels and ensure they meet the needs of the Department.
· Conducts analysis for annual budget planning, identifies emerging trends and problem areas and recommends recommend remedial actions as needed.
· Reviews and develops Human Services operating policies to ensure consistent application and compliance with State and City policies.
· Creates and maintains a system of management, tracking and compliance regarding Human Services provider contracts, Memorandum of Understanding and audits by federal, state and local entities.
· Assist in the management of all procurement processes involving competitive bids or Requests for Proposals, monitors contract compliance and maintains documentation of procurements.
· Understands and implements City, State, and Federal legislation, statutes and policies as it relates to Social Services as well as Juvenile Justice.
· Performs statistical analysis and prepares various reports to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of programs.