Deputy Commissioner III
James City County’s Commissioner of Revenue department is seeking an individual to perform advanced work administering one or more functions in the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office such as real estate tax relief; maintaining database accuracy; processing various types of tax returns and related documents; and, processing tax refunds.
• Assists taxpayers by processing refund and tax due returns, and estimated tax vouchers for state income tax; assesses tax, penalty, and interest due on state income tax returns; receives payments and transmits to Treasurer’s Office for deposit into state account; prepares reconciliation reports, month-end, and year-end summaries according to state regulations; assists Treasurer’s Office with reconciliation of delinquent accounts.
• Assists taxpayers in the preparation of Virginia Individual Income Tax Returns.
• Maintains accurate computer information for tax assessment and billing purposes; imports and enters data manually; audits information for accuracy; researches and corrects inaccurate data.
• Receives and processes applications for various real estate and personal property tax exemption programs; ensures documentation complies with local and state codes; recommends approval/disapproval of application based on review of documentation.
• Maintains personal property valuations electronically; performs manual valuations when necessary; receives and processes applications for various personal property exemptions.
• Maintains military and boat records and files; processes and assesses mobile homes.
• Provides accurate, timely information to citizens and internal customers through both written and oral communications.