Deputy Commissioner I
James City County’s Commissioner of Revenue department is seeking an individual to perform responsible work assisting citizens with a variety of tax-related matters, including personal property and state income taxes.
• Assists taxpayers by receiving and verifying income, estimated, and personal property tax returns; accepts payments for Virginia state income and estimated income taxes, provides receipts, and prepares forms for transmittal to the Treasurer’s Office.
• Processes motor vehicle registrations and directs customers to the Treasurer’s Office for payment; receives payment for vehicle registration fees; prepares forms for transmittal to the Treasurer’s Office; processes vehicle transaction data from the Division of Motor Vehicles and updates database.
• Assesses personal property taxes using standard information sources; prepares administrative assessments of unregistered items; composes correspondence to tax payers concerning administrative assessments.
• Opens and distributes mail; prepares taxpayer mailings such as decal forms or boat registrations; maintains files and prepares a variety of reports; scans, updates, merges, and performs system backup of decal forms; maintains records of active duty military personnel exempt from personal property tax; ensures current Leave and Earning Statements (LES) are on file; reviews LES statements and updates computer records.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction; business English; and, standard office procedures and equipment.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information; perform accurate basic mathematical calculations, including addition, subtraction, and calculating percentages; make sound decisions based on office policies and procedures; establish and maintain effective working relationships with County staff and public; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; set priorities, organize work, and complete tasks quickly and accurately.