Deputy Clerk II
James City County’s Circuit Court seeks an individual to perform responsible public service work in the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office administering oaths and conducting routine transactions on behalf of the Clerk.
• Provides first point of customer service to the public by responding to routine requests for information; greets and assists public with locating public records.
• Initiates electronic files for civil and criminal filings received by paper or e-filing, which include adoptions, divorces, name changes, and various other suit types; reviews filings to ensure compliance with the Code of Virginia and instruction from Supreme Court of Virginia; prepares summons and subpoenas; forwards orders to required persons; files judgments and related documents including confession of judgments and State and Federal tax liens; prepares abstracts of judgments and issues Writs of Fiera Facias.
• Accepts paper and e-recording instruments and verifies correct fees and recordation standards in accordance with the State Library of Virginia and the Code of Virginia have been met for land recordation such as deeds, deeds of trust, assignments, certificates of satisfaction and various other land recordings; performs quality control procedures to verify correctness.
• Processes military discharges, concealed handgun permits, marriage licenses, and administers oaths for various offices.
• Documents and indexes all documents in the Commonwealth of Virginia Electronic Recordation System; receipts fines, costs and restitution payments; Serves as Point of Contact for piloting new systems created by Office of the Executive Secretary at the Supreme Court off Virginia.
• Deputy Clerk II, serves as Jury Administrator initiating questionnaires, summoning jurors and taking attendance; prepares file for appellate court adhering to the standards outlined by the Supreme Court of Virginia.